Thursday, October 15, 2009

Oct 15- The Little Mermaid

(Of course written by hand while at work)

The little mermaid...no reason why that crossed my mind, but it did get me thinking. Is there anymore to that childhood story we all adore? Is there something more? Probably, but I only see the basics...

First thing that came to mind for me is that it is a literal story of a fish out of water...well assuming that mermaids are fish... OK, that was not nearly as funny as my head thought it was...

It's also a basic tale of how you always want more than you have, look at Ariel, she is Princess of the sea or something, what more could you want? Your dad is a GOD! Her sisters and father seem satisfied with Royal Life "Under the Sea" (see what I did there?), is it good enough for her? NOPE! Once she hits teenage rebellion years, she wants to have legs, and go hook up with literally the first dude she sees!

I disagree with the moral message of "pursue what you want no matter what happens" that they put here in the movie, I think the bigger message is "ALWAYS LISTEN TO YOUR PARENTS!". Seriously, she makes a deal with a witch/sea monster (always a great idea on its own) then proceeds to get double crossed (surprise surprise) and all this bad shit happens! Her dad loses his powers and becomes this creepy looking bearded slug thing, theres a giant tornado and the crazy witch bitch grows gianormas, all cause she didn't listen to her daddy and keep it in her pants!

1 comment: